Sunday, February 17, 2019

MMGM - Catch Me When I Fall



Catch Me When I Fall

Bonnie Graves

2019
Age Range: 9-12 years
Grade Level: 4-7
Publisher: Regal House Publishing
 

 Image result for catch  me when i fall

This book is set during the Great Depression in Wisconsin.

Emma is a very athletic girl who likes to run, to cartwheel, and to walk on the narrow railing on the bridge over the muddy water of Root River.

She dreams of running away to join the circus. But mostly she dreams of finding out who her father is.

The circus was coming to town and she saw the picture of Filippo the Flying Wonder on it. She gasped. It looked just like the picture she saw of her dad. The picture her mother kept hidden in her bureau.

She wanted to go to the circus to see Filippo and ask him if he was her father. She didn't have the money for the ticket and her mother didn't want her to have anything to do with the circus.
So she decided to dress like a boy to get a job at the circus to earn a ticket for the matinee. She finds out it's not easy being a circus worker. She helps put up the tent and makes friends with 'her' elephants. But . . .

Will the Boss Man see through her disguise?
Will she get to talk to Filippo?
Will her nosy cousins tell on her to her mother?

The book is a page turner. But in the end you will get the answers to your questions.
And you will find out why her mother didn't want her to sneak out to the circus and why she kept secret who Emma's father was. But she also finds out a secret about her mother.


Go over to Always in the Middle to find out who else is posting about MG Books.





7 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! I'm curious about the answers to your questions so I'm going to have to find this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sound like a fun book to read. I know a kid who ran away to join a circus (yes, it still happens...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a lot of books about a child searching for their father, but none have approached it from a circus angle. Thanks for introducing this one to me. I'm going to track down a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Secrets always make reading more fun, don't they? Thanks for sharing this interesting title with us for MMGM, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love stories with secrets. And, I like the circus setting. Sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you have piqued my curiosity. I will have to check this one out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds interesting. I am glad all the questions get wrapped up in the end. I am curious about all the secrets. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!