Friday, January 4, 2019

Picture Books and STORYSTORM

The New Year has started and I am again participating in Tara Lazar's StoryStorm.
It is a month in which we try to come up with at least one picture book story idea each day.

Imagine 30 new story ideas!

There is a different post each day to inspire us. Even if you don't register (You can register up until January 7), you can visit her blog each day and read all the inspirational and informative posts on writing picture books.

Today there is a post about the different structures of picture books.

Tammi Sauer challenged each of us to come up with at least one picture book idea using the different structures.

I think I will take up the challenge.

I checked my previously written picture book manuscripts to see if I had used any of these different structures in writing them

Seems most of mine follow the classic picture book structure, which is:

MC has a problem
MC faces obstacles that escalate
MC encounters a dark moment in which things can't possibly get worse
MC figures out how to solve the problem
MC grows/changes by the book's end.

But . . . 

I have written a PB about hummingbirds that I think falls into the concept category.
And one of my PBs about a lovable monster could fit in the reversal category.

If you want to learn more about writing picture books, I highly recommend joining Tara and other picture book writers in Storystorm.






1 comment:

  1. Wishing you the best of luck with your challenge. Sounds like fun and definitely interesting. :)

    Happy New Year!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!