Friday, January 11, 2013

Picture Book Friday - A Nap in a Lap

I have been busy editing a PB I have written. And I am finding out how each little word can make a difference! It is hard work, but worth the effort to make a good manuscript better. I love the word choices the author made in this picture book.


A Nap in a Lap
by Sarah Wilson
Illustrated by Akemi Gutierrez
Scholastic 2003



Suitable for Preschoolers

Topic: Bedtime story

Various excerpts from book:
It's easy to nap
hugged in a tree
and surrounded by green
or nestled on rocks
or snoozled in sand dunes

Synopsis: this is a cute bedtime story. A little girl is shown throughout the book with various animals in their napping places. All tired out in the end, she found that the best nap for her . . . is a nap in a lap!

I like this book because of the illustrations and simplicity of it for the little ones. I love the author's word choices for each scene.

You should read a bedtime story in a relaxed atmosphere. When possible add dramatization to the story, using different voices. Reading the same story over and over will enhance their memory and help them become familiar with words.

 
Every Friday, bloggers post a favorite picture book.  To see what other people posted, please visit author Susanna Leonard Hill’s Perfect Picture Books.

Posted by Janet F. Smart on Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch.

14 comments:

  1. I may need this as an instructional manual for my toddler as he's resisting naps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The front cover is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cover! And the word "snoozled" - talk about great word choice (and invention :)) Thanks so much for sharing this, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on the cute cover - sounds like one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely rhyming book that may help little ones nap. Very creative idea. Great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't write much short work, but one of the things I love about doing so is the challenge of making every word necessary and just the right word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice and love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice and love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a cute book. Then again, I'm partial to books with animals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There can never be enough books encouraging little ones to love their naps!

    Great PPBF choice!

    - Cathy Mealey

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does look like a cute book! And possibly very useful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I would like to study the language in this one, too. Sounds like a great example of making every word count!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love naps and this book sounds adorable. Words play and choice is so important- especially in PBs. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!