Monday, December 17, 2012

The Cat That Climbed the Christmas Tree


Day Seventeen
The Cat That Climbed the Christmas Tree
by Susanne Santoro Whayne
Illustrated by Christopher Santoro
1992



It was Benny the cat's first Christmas. He was fascinated with the Christmas tree.

"Now, Benny, behave yourself!" Emily laughed and swooped him away. "Christmas trees are not for cats!"

Well, I bet you can guess what Benny, the cat did. Yep! He climbed the tree.

Up Benny climbed, past silver flutes and tiny drums, miniature skaters, old-fashioned clothespin ladies and a velvet mouse in a red stocking. But he wanted to get to the tip top where the angel was, so up and up he climbed.

Cats like to climb up, but they don't like to climb down, so he was in a predicament. But the angel helped him and he landed on the carpet.

"That was the best climb ever," he purred as he stretched and headed for his basket.

A tidbit of info about the writer and illustrator - they are brother and sister.


Any of you ever have a cat climb your Christmas tree? I hope not.


Posted by Janet F. Smart on Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch.





2 comments:

  1. I love this book. I think at one time we had 3 copies. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cats! We have four barn cats right now. They were born here on the farm. Benny sounds wonderful! I can see him in my minds eye from your description, Janet! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!