Saturday, December 22, 2012

Polly's Christmas Present



Day Twenty Two
Polly's Christmas Present
Stories and pictures by Irma Wilde
1953



Polly's Christmas Present (The Christmas Puppy) 

This one is an oldie! In fact, it is older than I am.

Santa had a problem. He had just made ten little toy dogs, and ten children wanted ten little toy dogs.
But, he just received a letter from a little girl named Polly and she wanted a toy dog, too. It was Christmas Eve and Santa didn't have time to make another one. Oh dear, oh dear me!

Santa felt very sad as he put on his warm coat. He had never disappointed anyone before. He looked at his dog, Jingle, and came up with an idea. He would give Polly one of Jingle's little puppies

The little puppy he picked gave a tiny bark and wagged his little tail. Off into the sky went Santa Claus and his reindeer and the little puppy!

On Christmas morning, Polly found the little dog in her stocking!
"Oh," cried Polly. "Why, you're a real live puppy dog! You're warm and cuddly and I love you!"

She named him Inky.

This is a really cute story and you can still find copies of it on Amazon and Ebay. But, I am sure I found mine at either a yard sale or thrift store. I grab up old books whenever I can find them.

Posted by Janet F. Smart on Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch.




3 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds really cute. I don't have this one, but I think I saw it online last night when I was looking up vintage children's Christmas books.

    All your blog posts are making me want to write a Christmas story now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Rena! I have written one, but it needs a lot of work done on it if it is to be good enough to get published.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with this story, but it sounds perfect for young readers. Will have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!