Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tweeting and Writing

The Erma Bombeck Writing Contest is open until Feb 14th. You can go here to read all about it and decide if you want to enter or not. Unfortunately, there is an entry fee this year. There are two categories - Human Interest and Humor. The winner in each category will receive a cash prize of $500.

I have entered this contest before and last year I was excited to receive an email after the contest was over. I didn't win, but competition coordinator emailed me to inform me about a comment one of the judges made about my story. She said she hoped the info would be helpful and constructive as I developed other stories. I thought this was very nice of her. I guess you could compare it to getting a nice rejection letter instead of a form rejection letter. 
 
I have not decided  if I will  enter this year or not since they added the entry fee. With only one cash winner in each category, I am not sure if I would have much of a chance.

I am still making changes to my new picture book manuscript. We had a writer's meeting and they liked the story and offered a few helpful suggestions. 

I have read a middle grade book titled, Turtle in Paradise, since I last blogged. It was recommended on another writer's blog site. It is a Newbery Honor Book and takes place in Key West, Florida in 1935. I love Jennifer Holm's style of writing. I love the characters in the book, especially the main character, Turtle. Here is a small snippet

     Folks have always told me that I look like Mama. My hair's brown, same as hers, but it's cut short in a bob with bangs, like a soup bowl turned upside down. Mama keeps hers long as a good dream,  because that's the way Archie likes it.
     Our eyes are different, though. I think the color of a person's eyes says a lot about them. Mama has soft blue eyes, and all she sees is kittens and roses. My eyes are gray as soot, and I see things for what they are. The mean boy on the porch has green eyes. Probably from all the snot in his nose.



 

In other news, I have joined Twitter. I am now able to Tweet!  
Click on the Twitter button on my side bar and follow me on Twitter.

As of yet, I have not Tweeted. 
Any of you out there have any suggestions on using Twitter?


4 comments:

  1. I bet you would win it.. I don't know anything about Twitter..or I would join you..Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play. But the choice is yours.

    I just followed you on Twitter :)

    I wish I had suggestions to offer - I'm still trying to figure out the Twitter landscape as well. Mostly I reply or retweet. Every once in a while I say something original. I need to do that more often.

    May I should just say I have green eyes, but I'm not mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I have green eyes too! She later changes her mind about the boy and compares the color of his eyes to something much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it! You can't win if you aren't in the game! I'll be watching to see what you decide! Nan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!