Wednesday, January 25, 2012

RE POST FROM JUNE 2010

More Writing Workshop Info

I attended a picture book workshop conducted by children's author, Cheryl Ware. But if you are not a picture book writer, please read on, I think the information will help you with any genre of writing you choose to write.

Here is a group picture of the attendees of her workshop. Cheryl is the tall lady in the middle, I am in the pink shirt beside of her.



I thoroughly enjoyed this workshop. She came with a pile of picture books to share with us. She read a few of her favorites.

She told us something that I think is very hard to do. She said to find the holes in the market - find what hasn't been written. I think this applies to all genres of writing, don't you?

She showed us some books that she stated when she first saw them, she didn't think they were the greatest. But when she read them to small children, they loved them!

They shouted out answers when she read the text to them!
They became involved in the reading!
They wanted it read over and over again!

I think that is what we want to accomplish with any of our books. We want our reader to become involved with the story and for them to want to read it over and over again.

One of her favorite books : THE DOT
If you write picture books, but haven't read this one, go to the library and check it out.
It is so simple, yet so good!

Some very good advice from her:

Start your story on a day that something is different in their life.
Ending should be expected, but a surprise.

As you can see, I think you can take this information and apply it to whatever type of writing you do, whether it be for adults or children.

Some of Cheryl's published books are:

Flea Circus Summer,
Catty-Cornered,
Venola in Love, and
Venola the Vegetarian

Her stories introduce you to Venola May Cutright, a spunky 11 year old girl.

I hope you read something from this post that will help you with your writing.

 **********************************************
January 25th, 2012

Today when I went to the Thrift Store I found a copy of The Dot! 

4 comments:

  1. Janet, great tips. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Cheryl's advice. And congrats on finding a copy of The Dot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that advice as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for The Dot! And thank you for sharing the advice. I need all the help I can get! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!