Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Writing Wednesday - The Giving Tree


The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

There is some controversy about this book. I admit I had heard a lot about it, but had never read it until yesterday. I had a little free time after my writer's group met at the library, so I went over and browsed the children's section.

I picked up this book and began to read. At 621 words, it did not take long to finish. It was first published in 1964. There have been many additional printings of it since then, and it has sold millions.

It has over 3000 reviews on Amazon and 82% of them give it a 5 Star Rating. (I would be happy to get 25 reviews on any of my books) But that's another story.


I liked it in the beginning. I thought it was a cute and simple book. But as I flipped through the pages, I started feeling sad for the tree. The tree gave the boy unconditional love throughout his life, but I feel the boy remained selfish. He never thanked the tree for what she gave him. 
They say the character in your book should grow and change. In my opinion, the boy in this story did not grow and change. I feel he was selfish in the beginning and he was selfish in the end.

I read that Shel Silverstein once said, “It’s about a boy and a tree. It has a pretty sad ending.” I think that about sums it up.

But everyone has different opinions about books and that is what reviews are for.


You can go here and read about it on Amazon.
Go here and hear the reading of it on You Tube.

What do you think about the book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!