Sunday, January 19, 2014

WORD FOR THE WEEK




PERSEVERANCE: steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.

QUOTES:
“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” Thomas Edison

“Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.” Babe Ruth

“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.” A. A. Milne

“Ninety-nine percent of all failures come from people who have a habit of making excuses.” George Washington Carver

PEOPLE:
Thomas Edison was told in his early years that he was “too stupid to learn anything.” He made over 1000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light bulb. 

Jack London received six hundred rejection slips in his early years.

Dr. Seuss’s first book, To Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street, was rejected 27 times.

The next time you think about quitting, in your writing or some other endeavor, think of my word for the week: PERSEVERANCE

Another little tidbit of information about perseverance:  It took 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula for WD40 worked out. Hence the name, WD40. And just like duct tape, what would we do without WD40?

Maybe some day someone will say, "What would we do without the writings of (fill in your name)?"


 In the eyes of some, even rejects are beautiful!

Posted by Janet Smart  on Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch.


 

8 comments:

  1. Janet, these are wonderful quotes. I need to write them down. I am waiting to hear about a short story that I submitted two months ago, so I needed this.
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful word for this week - or for the year, actually! We need it in so many areas of life. Or at least I do anyway. :) Thanks for sharing these encouraging words.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. I so agree, we all need to persevere, and we have some good examples to help us.

      Delete
  3. These are all wonderful quotes, but I think the first one by Edison really hits between the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I LOVE that picture too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!