Thursday, October 17, 2013

Whipping Your Manuscript Into Shape and Free PDF Booklet



I am getting ready for National Picture Book Month . . . and PiBoIdMo!

I am going to try (notice I said try) to post about picture books every day in November! That is a big endeavor, so I am already writing posts and saving them.

Stop by each day and read and learn a little bit about picture books.
I will try not to disappoint you.


But, until November arrives I am working on my middle grade novels.
I've got out my whip and I am whipping them into shape.

Here is a little checklist of some things I am doing.



√   If something is in there that shouldn't  be - delete it to the wastebasket - no matter how much you are attached to it.



√  Check the chapter endings - do they make us excited to go on to the next chapter? If not, change them so they do.

 √  Does the first page make us want to continue reading? If not, change it so it does.


√  Use your find button. Check for 'it'. I bet most of them can be changed to a more specific noun. Check for 'that'. I bet many of them can be taken out. Check for 'ly' words. Check for telling words, such as: saw, smelled, heard and felt.



√  Check for 'your overused' words. You know what I mean, favorite words that pop into your writing too many times. Everyone's words are different. I have a tendency to overuse old, that, of and just.


Other unnecessary words can be: about, actually, almost, like, appears, approximately, even, exactly, finally and really. Check for redundant phrases, such as: sat down, end result,  free gift, combine together, kneel down, raise up, exact same, etc. You get the idea.



√  Check your story. Does your character grow? Are your characters likeable? Do they have flaws? No one likes a perfect character. Are there unique parts in your manuscript? Is there something in your story that makes it stand out? etc.

Are you whipping a manuscript into shape? Hope my checklist helps you out a little. 

√  Check out my sidebar. If you want a free PDF of my booklet, The Handy Little A to Z Book on Writing, just email me and let me know. I'll  email one out to you. Contents include: A B Cs of Writing, Specific Words, Find Button, Tips on Writing ABC Books, Tips on Writing Articles,  Prompts, What If's, Sites for Writers, Last, But Not Least - Helpful Tidbits.

I think you'll like it!

Happy Writing and don't forget about November and Picture Book Month.

Posted by Janet Smart  on Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch.






4 comments:

  1. Good tips Janet. I'm in the midst of doing the weeding of what does not belong in my manuscript. Never ending. I have a few pages of Sweet Baby James on my blog if you are interested. Good luck with your project! Hugs, B

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and my overused word: this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You point out some very good things to check on our stories. One of my major problems is writing too many words so I usually have to cut a bunch. I'm trying to cut now on my WIP, so I won't have to get rid of my favorite words later. Mine are just, that, and many others. :) Good luck with your picture books next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great checkpoints! I think you could apply these to non fiction too. Wishing you all the best with PiBoIdMo! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!