Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Writing Wednesday



I used to put a Writing Wednesday post on my blog on a weekly basis. I think with this post, I will start it up again.

This is National Poetry Month!

A fellow blogger, Linda O'Connell,  recently blogged about the Washington University St. Louis, Humanities Dept. Poetry Prompt, for the month of April. Each day they provide you with 5 words to encourage you to write a short poem.

I've dabbled with it a couple of times. I go to the sight and look at the words for each day, if one of the prompts catches my eye, I copy the words down and write a poem.

I don't think I'm doing it right. I'm thinking they want you to write the poem on the day the prompts are put up, but that's okay --- it's got me to writing.

The April 16 prompts were: Sunlight, Ceiling, Nostalgia, Bleak and Mother

Here is my poem:


I sit and gaze out the window.
The sun hides behind stubborn clouds
and refuses to shine.
I stare at the ceiling and nostalgia
Sets in. I find myself wishing my mother
was here on this bleak day
to spread hope and sunlight to my life.
 
 

The April 13 prompts were: Star, Stairway, Memory, Hour, Light

After a few versions, here is my latest poem:


Climbing the stairway toward heaven,
A star shines its bright light before me.
But my magic hour has not yet come
For me to go, so I linger another day
And add another memory to my life.


Why don't you give it a try? 

Sometimes a little prompt is all a writer needs to kick-start their brain. 

If you like, post your poem in the comments.

Happy Writing!



4 comments:

  1. I love prompts like these. One of my friends is a poet, and he sends me a poem almost every day. I love that! I'll give one of these a try. My go-to style is haiku:

    Star stairway guides me
    By the minute, by the night
    Memory of Light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol. I love your haiku. Thanks for posting it.

      Delete
  2. Janet- Great job on the poems. I love that the prompts got you writing. That's always a good thing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!