Sunday, February 18, 2018

Duck and Cover Star Mobile Craft


In addition to writing, I also love to craft.

I decided to make a craft to go along with my MG book, Duck and Cover.

The book is about The Cuban Missile Crisis, but it is also about a boy and his dreams. His mom tells him to "Hang your dreams on a star, and you'll go far." So that's what he does. He hangs his dreams on the North Star.

I'm going to show you how you and/or your child can make a star mobile.

And, as always with crafts, if you need to make a few changes, do so. That is why crafts are so unique. They are all different.

I used a 9" Styrofoam form.





I tore 1 1/2" strips of material. It took around 9 feet.


Wrap it around the form. I pinned the ends with straight pins. You could glue the ends if you wanted to.




Then I got three pieces of craft wire 18" long. I stuck the ends into the Styrofoam (you could put a little Elmer glue onto the wire before sticking it into the foam), brought them together at the top, twisted the last couple of inches of the wire around each other and bent it over into a hook. I tied a ribbon around the wires at the bottom of the hook.

   
Go here and run off on card stock the PDF of Stars. Cut them out. 




Punch a hole into the large stars. Cut different lengths of fishing line. Tie into the holes and then tie around the Styrofoam ring. Let them hang at different lengths. Then get a glue stick and glue the small blue stars onto the hanging ribbon. If you want, you can color the backs of the stars to match the front.




Now have your child write his or her dreams or wishes on the individual stars.
Hang it in their room.

 I hope you enjoyed this craft and I hope you enjoy my book.





8 comments:

  1. This star mobile is awesome! You are so talented to write and do crafts. What a wonderful idea. Enjoyed this posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic idea! I know a little boy who will enjoy doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda. I hope so. And as with all crafts, you can put your own personal touches on it. Or if you don't have one of the materials, you can use something else.

      Delete
  3. What a fun craft to go with Duck and Cover. I love the idea of writing hopes and dreams on the stars. :) Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jess. Thanks. I think it is a good idea also.

      Delete
  4. What a neat idea. I bet kids love it. In fact, I'd king of like one for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!