Monday, April 24, 2017

A Book Review - Fever 1793


I write. I write all the time. But I also squeeze in time to read.

You become a better writer by reading what you write.


I read in the evenings, I read when my husband and I are riding around and I read whenever I can find the time.

I recently read Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson.
I had heard of this book and always wanted to read it.
(In case you don't know, I love historical fiction)
It is for young adults and has an appendix in the back giving information about the facts of the time period and famous people touched by the fever.

Here is the blurb from the back:
During the summer of 1793, Mattie Cook lives above the family coffee shop with her widowed mother and grandfather. Mattie spends her days avoiding chores and making plans to turn the family business into the finest Philadelphia has ever seen. But then the fever breaks out.
Disease sweeps the streets, destroying everything in its path and turning Mattie's world upside down. At her feverish mother's insistence, Mattie flees the city with her grandfather. But she soon discovers that the sickness is everywhere, and Mattie must learn quickly how to survive in a city turned frantic with disease.

If you like historical fiction, I feel you will like this book. It is very detailed in sections about how life was like during that time period. You can tell she did a lot of research. It is so sad they did not know how yellow fever was caught and spread.
When they bled people, it just made chills go down me.
When the characters mentioned swatting mosquitoes away from their faces, I cringed.

Have you read this book? Did you enjoy it?

What have you read lately?



Janet Smart
author of Duck and Cover

7 comments:

  1. I have had this on my list for years and still haven't gotten to it. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get to this one. I also love historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rosi. I think you'll like it. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I like historical fiction very much. I'm so glad you recommended this book. It sounds really good and I want to read it. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for reviewing this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda. You're welcome, I hope you like it.

      Delete
  3. Hello Janet,
    I read all the time, my husband would tell you I’m never without a book, which is probably true. Writing was something I did at school and now for my blog with lots and lots of years in between when I wrote virtually nothing at all. I don’t find it easy, but I do want to share my love of old children’s books, and so I have to find a few words. I would much prefer to upload lots of photos without words, but I feel that would be cheating. :)
    I’ve just added Fever to my must read list, it sounds like something I would enjoy.
    At the moment I’m reading The escape by C. L. Taylor, it’s wonderful.
    Thanks for visiting my blog today it was lovely to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barbara. Seems like I've always got a book in my hand, too.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!