Monday, September 29, 2014

Hank Zipzer Niagara Falls, or Does It? MMGM



Grosset and Dunlap 2003
144 pages 
I have been reviewing books from the Hank Zipzer series, so I figured I should go back and review the first book in the series.

It is the first day of fourth grade and the teacher wants the students to write a five paragraph essay on what they did during the summer. Hank is terrified. Writing (and reading) is not one of his best subjects. Hank comes up with a plan to show what he did. His 'living essay' becomes a disaster when he tries to show and tell about his trip to Niagara Falls. He gets detention. Luckily he gets detention with Mr. Rock, the music teacher. Mr. Rock suspects Hank has learning problems and suggests that he be tested.

In addition to the books in this series being extremely humorous, they teach about kids with learning disabilities. And they show how kids like Hank can work through difficulties and overcome obstacles they have in everyday life.

Additional info: Henry Winkler is dyslexic and was not diagnosed until he was an adult. 

Now click over here to Shannon Messenger's site and read about other marvelous middle grade books!


5 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try some of these books. So far, I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can get to some of these books soon. They sound really cute. I think it's so important for kids to learn about learning disabilities. This series sounds like a good way to get the message out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reading these books, Rosi, and I think kids will, too. Hank is a neat character and he really tries hard to overcome obstacles - sometimes with hilarious results.

      Delete
  3. It must be a disaster because Niagara Falls is not an ordinary place. Well the books are looking really great. I will try to buy it one of them as soon as possible but the thing is that I am just stick to Niagara Falls. It always reminds me about my past trip. I saw this place during nyc niagara falls bus tours. It is a very special place for me. There are many recalls those are attached with this single place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!