Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Writing Wishes


Okay, it is almost New Year's Day.
Have you met your goals for this year?
Do you have goals set for next year?

There is a New Year's superstition about work.

Make sure to do - and be successful at - something related to your work on the first day of the year. But limit your activity to a token amount, because to engage in a serious work project on that day is unlucky.

So get most of your writing and editing done today :o) Do a few touches to your story tomorrow, then rest and enjoy the day!

If you are interested in other New Year's superstitions, visit my other blog and read all about it.


What have you been up to lately?

I have been working very, very hard on my MG manuscript.

I so, so hope I will get somewhere with this story. But I have to do more than hope. It takes a lot of hard work, patience and perseverance. And I have to be willing to listen to comments and suggestions to improve my work.  I am trying to do that, but sometimes it is hard to see your words as other people see them.

Some people believe you write something once and that is it. Believe me, there is always room for improvement no matter how good you think it is. Let other eyes see it and get other people's opinions. But, others may not always be right. Unless more than one critiquer agrees that something is wrong, and you feel it is right, then I say stick to your guns and go with your gut.

Do not think that it is not your story if other people give you input?

Wrong. It will still be your idea, your words and your work! 

Do not let your pride get in the way of accepting help from others. And do not just get input from your friends and family. They may sometimes not want to hurt your feelings.

I do not know why I got on this little bandwagon about writing. I just wish and want the best for all of us in our writing endeavors. Sometimes only one word, one paragraph, one rhyme or one thought can make the difference in a story or poem.

Have you made any writing goals for this year?

Here is wishing you . . . and me a very Happy, and fullfilling, 'writing' New Year!

Posted by Janet F. Smart on Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch
 

 




8 comments:

  1. It is very important to set writing goals. I do every year. This year I want to complete two more chapter books in my series.

    Happy New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought I was the only one with this crazy superstition. I, too, believe that that you do on new years will determine the rest of your year. So I make sure my fridge is stocked, my wallet is full, my house is cleaned and I don't do too much work. But as you mentioned it is good to do a little writing that flows well. Best wishes to you and your MG project, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten some of these superstitions. My sister and I were just talking about not doing laundry tomorrow. We are eating cabbage and black-eyes peas here in the south. There had to be some truth to these old tales because they've been passed down through generations.
    Have a Happy New Year Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this. I wish you the best in 2013. I have my goals written. This will be a busy year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet,
    Wanted to comment on your blog, which I enjoyed. Those are words a writer keeps needing to hear over and over. IT'S HARD WORK. And we have to rewrite. And then do it all again.
    And also to ask what you meant about too many photos and paying for space. I've never paid anything for my blog space. I don't do many photos but you mean if I do I have to pay over so many??? Help. Write back on facebook or email. Thanks Barb
    barbwhitti@aol.com

    And happy new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janet,
    You are so right about there always being room for improvement.

    My writing goals this year are to declutter and enhance; eliminate what doesn't give me fulfillment.

    Hope 2013 is prosperous and peaceful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been chipping away at revising UnFairy 3, so what you said about hard work really rang true. As frustrating as it can be when you have to put so much time into a project, it's also that much more satisfying in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!