Monday, February 6, 2012

My Writing Library

Do you have a writing library?

I do, but 'my library' was scattered all about in different areas.

I searched and searched and put them in one easily accessible spot. I stacked them under my coffee table, which sits in front of my lazy boy in our family room. My computer is also in the family room and with a quick turn of my head, I can look and see them all in a row.


Believe it or not, most of my books have been bought at yard sales and thrift stores. 
A few I have won on writer's blogs.


All of my books are not 'how to' books
The Quotable American and the Sears Roebuck and Co. 1909 Catalog comes in handy for writing info.

Kids Say the Darndest Things! is a great reference for children's writers.



The Book of Answers, Will Rogers, Garfield's Big Book of Excellent Excuses, Great Thoughts & Funny Savings are also good for reference.

I write for children, but I also write articles and short stories and a few longer pieces. 
That is why I do not just collect books on or about writing for children.

Do you have a writing library?  What type of books do you have to help you with your writing?


8 comments:

  1. I have a mix of ebooks, paperbacks and hardbacks. I scour English second-hand stalls here in Cyprus for any research books that might be useful. When I return from the UK I usually have one or two bargains in my suitcase.

    Love your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunch of writing books, but I think Self Editing for Fiction Writers (Browne & King) and Description (Monica Wood) are my two favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. They were stuffed in a bookshelf in the closet (to keep little hands from tossing them around). I recently pulled a few key ones I wanted to re-read or read, so I could use them more this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have quite a collection of writing books. The most-used book is my Gage Canadian Thesaurus. But among a variety of topics, the books dealing with words are definitely my favorites: "English Synonyms and Antonyms" published in 1914 by Funk and Wagnalls; "A Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms" published in 1938 by The World Publishing Company, and several dictionaries/encyclopedic dictionaries including the second volume of a huge tome published around 1850. I wish I could get my hands on the first volume. I think you can guess by now that I have a love affair with words. Thank you for the opportunity to share this with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several books on writing craft and editing, some on names, a couple on body language. I have books on crime, psychology, guns, and drugs. More on handwriting analysis, history, and travel. Several shelves in total. But they're small shelves :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Janet,
    I would say that you have a real collection of books there.But I think your real talent comes from within, I bet if I read all those books it would not make me a writter, it would just leave me with the info on how to try. but maybe thats good too. I have trouble compossing a letter, not to mention a book. I will leave that up to creative people like you.
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet,
    You have a nice library of writing books. Your space is so neat and nicely arranged. I wish I were as organized as you are. You are such a creative person.
    Have a Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have quite a writing library. I recognize a few books that I have. I don't think you can have too many books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!