Thursday, January 29, 2009

Children's Poetry

Here is a question for you poetry buffs.

Can you recite Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?
Everyone knows it...or do they?

Here is the entire poem for you to enjoy:




TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR

Twinkle, twinkle, little star!
How I wonder what you are,
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.

When the glorious sun is set,
When the grass with dew is wet,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

In the dark-blue sky you keep,
And often through my curtains peep,
For you never shut your eye,
Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark
Guides the traveler in the dark,
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star!

Taken from
The Children's
First Book
of Poetry

Selected By
Emilie Kip Baker
Copyright 1915


I've said the poem many times,
But only the first four lines.
I never knew the entire poem.
Did any of you?

Listen to the words. It's beautiful, isn't it?


Three old poetry books
The Children's First Book of Poetry - 1915
American Poetry - 1923
A Child's Garden of Verses - 1906

1 comment:

  1. I also did not know the whole poem, only the first four lines.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!