Thursday, February 23, 2012

Too Many Pots on the Stove




I am  still editing! I am getting there, but still have a ways to go.
I am learning how to flesh out a story.
I think my husband should become my writing partner, he knows how to stretch out a story, if you know what I mean. He is an expert at making a one minute telling into a fifteen minute story.
I could do the plot and he could add all the details. I do not know why I didn't think of it before.

The local library had a writer's event on Tuesday. I attended a portion of it.
In a way it was a little bit disheartening. They are all published, some with many books, but have little sales. Most of the ones I got to listen to were either self published or used Print on Demand.

They kept saying how you have to keep up with the marketing. If not, you end up with a lot of money put out and a lot of books sitting in boxes in your garage.
Of course, I already knew this.

From listening to a few of them, it seems like POD is better and cheaper than self publishing.

I am still trying  to get a regular publisher. But, some day may have to go on the self publishing or POD route.

I am getting manuscripts polished to enter into the WVWriter's Contest. And in addition to my children's stories I would like to some day publish a cook book. One that includes stories along with the recipes. And, maybe a recipe/craft/article book for kids, incorporating some of the articles,  recipes, crafts etc. from my Two-Lane Livin' children's columns.

I have a lot of pots on the stove. All of them unfinished at the time and not ready to put on the table.

But I am working at it and that is one reason I do not blog as much as I would  like. I am constantly trying to get one of my 'pots' finished and out the door.

Do you sometimes feel you have too many pots on your stove, too?

5 comments:

  1. I hope your pots brew and simmer along nicely. I found I had too many and had to turn off the gas for a little while. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a lot of unfinished projects, but great ideas. Thanks for stopping by my blog and making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,
    I really admire you for having so many goals and working toward them. Good luck on your new book and all of your writing. You are very talented and inspire all of us to market our work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Janet. It sounds like you've got everything under control..wish I could say the same for me..My hubby helps me more than he realizes..he gives me inspiration for a lot of writings...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!