Friday, February 17, 2012

Open Mic - What Would You Say or Do?

 




Tonight is Open Mic Night at our local library.

A few brave people come to pour out their heart and soul.

We do not compare to Shakespeare, Robert Louis Stephenson, Margaret Mitchell or Elvis.

Nevertheless, we are a few people dedicated to our craft, who are willing to share our words with others.

Hey, it is also good experience for when we are famous and are invited to all those personal appearances and interviews.

Did I mention that we are also dreamers?

At our open mic you are likely to hear poems, short stories, tall tales or ballads.

I have read my children's stories, poems and short stories. I have even read a recollection of a family vacation where we made a few wrong turns, missed a few turn offs, tried to decipher the local dialect and still managed to arrive at our destination - an old family cemetery.

What would you say behind the Open Mic?

6 comments:

  1. That is soooo awesome, Janet! I have wanted to organize something like that here for a very long time. My crit partner (Beth Revis) became a famous novelist, so now I would have to go it alone. She might help if she was in town long enough. I really need to get moving on it though. Sounds like a lot of fun. And who knows? Might meet some very interesting people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I'm not much of a public speaker, so think I would sit on the sidelines and watch. I did read once at a book signing, but was shaking like a leaf in a wind storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to an open mic in so long. I am quite different than I was back then, so I'm not sure what I'd say or do now. I think I'd try to connect to each one of the folks there to share their words. I'd throw out a line of light and surround them, each one.

    What poem would I read? Oh -- maybe one I'd make up right then and there -- about how lovely they all are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,
    That sounds like a fun evening at the library with open mic. I sure wish I could hear you read your work. I know it would be wonderful. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had a nice night and I would sure like to hear you read too..Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!