Friday, July 3, 2009

What Is Your Hardest Part?

What is your hardest part about writing?

Is it the waiting? The editing? Getting the ideas to flow? The rejections? The research?

This urge to write came over me a few years ago. The inspirations came and I just wrote and wrote.

Along with writing children' s books, I also write the occasional short story.

I recently read a post about researching your market before submitting to avoid getting those dry, impersonal rejection letters on a story that you thought was great and sparkled with imagination.


Well, I usually do all the research. That is the part I dread the most. I have a number of stories, but stopping to do the research such as looking into books like the Book Markets for Children's Writers 

and then going on line to their web sites and getting the most recent information about them is hard and sometimes heartbreaking. You think you've found just the right publisher for your manuscript, you go to the submission guidelines and find out that they are not accepting unsoliciated stories at this time. They are only accepting submissions from agents and they will not respond if not interested. So here starts the waiting game. How long do you wait before you assume they are not interested?

While waiting you can write or edit your other stories. Read, read and read books that are in your writing genre. . .


and continue to submit your other stories to publishers.

I sometimes wonder if it is worth it. I think, there are other things I could be doing, like keeping the house clean. But then I think back to that long list of writers and their numerous rejection letters on books that finally sold. I think back on the quote from Richard Bach that says "A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit."

So I forget the house work and ignore the people who think writing a child's book is child's play, and stick with it.

Now that I've got all this off my chest, what is the hardest part for you as a writer?

Is it the waiting? The editing? Getting the ideas to flow? The rejections? The research?

4 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, Calkins Creek, another Boyds Mill Imprint sent me one of those letters too. But at least yours was on a full page of paper, mine was printed on a half page! lol
    Ugh. The hardest part about writing. Hmmm. Waiting is difficult, but I don't think that is the hardest part. The hardest part for me is writing something that I'm proud of. Even more so, that God is pleased with. I believe everything has a purpose, whether or not it is ever published. I focus on the craft itself because I love it. Now as far as the craft goes, I think structure is tough. I have a difficult time deciding how to break down my thoughts into scenes. I'm still grappling with one now. But if we had it all figured out, it wouldn't be near as much fun, would it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hardest part is wondering if it's worth it.

    Life seems to happen all around me and making time to work on the craft of writing seems so hard sometimes.

    And the troubles of my life seem to slink into the cracks of my writing time room like smoke out a stove with the draft closed.

    Your post about what's difficult was really "the right" thing for me to read today, and I'm glad you shared it.

    Thanks,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the time in the marketing research is a bummer for me but here's what really gets me down. Those rejection letters. Especially those darned form rejections! I keep reminding myself of other authors that were rejected many times before they were published. Did you know J.K. Rowling was rejected 30 times before 'Harry Potter' was accepted by Scholastic? I keep reminding myself of this and so I keep submitting the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that quote by Richard Bach. I've saved all my rejection letters. I know what you mean about markets not accepting unsolicited stories. It's frustrating, but every little success can lead to another.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!