Monday, December 17, 2012

"Ho, Ho, Ho! Ho, Ho, Ho!" (a contest)


I am adding another post today, in addition to my Christmas Picture Book a Day postings, in order to enter my entry to Susanna Leonard Hill's 2nd Annual Holiday Contest!
We have to write a Christmas story (limit 350 words). Mine is 220 words.

Go over to her site and check out all the entries and the rules. She's offering great prizes to the winners.
Hope you like mine.

Sing this to the tune of Jingle Bells!



"Ho, Ho, Ho! Ho, Ho, Ho!"

Trudging up the hill,
Through the cold and snow
I hear a loud voice yell,
"ho, ho, ho, ho, ho!"

What is that I hear?
Could it be St.  Nick?
I look up in the sky
Quick, quick, quick, quick, quick!

"Ho, ho, ho! Ho, ho, ho!
Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho!"
I see Santa in his sleigh
Flying through the snow.

He swerves and he sways
Through the snowy skies
Up and up he goes
Right before my eyes.

Rudolph guides the way
With a nose so bright
They soar through the sky
In the snowy night.

"Ho, ho, ho! Ho, ho, ho!
Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho!"
I see Santa in his sleigh
Flying through the snow.

I must hurry home
And beat dear ol' St. Nick.
I must jump in bed
Quick, quick, quick, quick, quick!

My feet trudge up and down
Through the frosty snow
My house is just ahead
As Santa shouts, “whoa!”

"Ho, ho, ho! Ho, ho, ho!
Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho!"
I see Santa in his sleigh
Flying through the snow.

I slip on the ice
Through the door I scoot
Hanging in the chimney
I see Santa’s boot.

I jump in my bed
And close my eyes tight
Merry Christmas to all
And to all a good night!

 I had fun writing this, hope you had fun reading it.

Posted by Janet F. Smart on Creative Writing in the Blackberry Patch.


14 comments:

  1. This kid's got it right! Most want to stay up to see Santa. Your character knows that he's got to be asleep for Santa to arrive! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun! Glad that kid got home and into bed before Santa arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Janet! A race to beat Santa :) What a creative idea. Very fun. Thanks so much for entering and joining the holiday contest fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a rollicking race! Really fun entry, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to race Santa home! I love the image of the boot hanging from the chimney...phew :) Thanks for sharing!

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a close call! I'm glad they made it to bed in time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun, Janet! I loved the 'quick, quick, quick, quick, quick'!
    Glad she got to bed in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun, Janet! I loved the 'quick, quick, quick, quick, quick'!
    Glad she got to bed in time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun story! Love that the character made it just in time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, this is WONDERFUL! I am singing it right now. I can tell you had fun writing it. Thanks for making me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun story Janet...and she climbed into bed just in time! Great rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute story! I love your blog title too -- mine is 'storypatch' so clearly we are on the same wavelength!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the "Quick, quick, quick, quick, quick!" and how this story just speeds along. I'm really right there with the kid as he/she hurries home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very creative! Great idea and nice execution!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love comments!